GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

16 August 2010

Have you ever been in your Zone....

Today while listening to the very melodious song 'Manassilunaroo Ushasandhyayay' in my MP3 player, I was in my zone...

What is a zone? A zone is your personal matrix where you are disassociated from anything that is happening around you. When you are in the zone, you are so focussed on something that you lose track of your surroundings. You are so involved, so focussed and so into what you are doing that for you nothing else exist.

We enter a zone when we do extremely well what we are doing. The work is highly focussed and involved and most of the time intellectual in nature. For instance, if you have studied hard (very , very hard) for an exam that you forgot any aspect of time and place, then you are in the zone. A zone is a dreamlike state in that in both states, you are away from your actual surroundings. Only difference is that in a zone, you are physically doing something while a dream is only that.

Most people enter a zone when they do very well what they are capable of doing. For example, for about two years in his career, Rahul Dravid was in a zone. He could do nothing wrong. He got three triple centuries against Australia helping India win the series at home and in Australia, won the Wisden Cricketer of the year award.. He was awesome when he was in his zone.

Considering that we do our best when we are in a zone, it is very sad that most people never enter their zones in their life time. We are fortunate if we are in the zone at least once or twice in our lifetime. This means that for most of us, our life is filled with doing average work, producing average output and thinking that we are doing great.

Since most of us never enter the zone, we don't know what we are missing.

Having said this, today, while listening to this song, I was in a zone.

I was walking along the main road in Bogota and was listening to music being played in my walkman. Suddenly this song started. For those who have never heard this song, you can listen to it here.

The song is sung by Yesudas and S.Janaki in the original. When I was listening to this song, I was walking along, eyes closed, entire focus being on listening to this song. This song has the quality of touching your soul by its melody.

While I was listening to this song, the time stood still for me. I did not observe anything that was happening around me. I was in a trance like state. For me, for those brief moment, only the melody of the song existed. Nothing else....

When I came out of the trance, I found that I was walking in the middle of the road with cycles swirling all around me. This was very, very weird experience. For a few moments, I was in my personal 'Matrix'.

Try to get into your zone as much as possible. Till you are there, you won't know what you are missing. Till you are in the zone, you won't know what you are capable of achieving....

No comments: