GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

28 April 2016

The Mango Seller and his ego....

Recently I traveled to my home state of Kerala in South India...
I am a Malayali (a native of Kerala). For work and career purposes, I have moved out of the state but occasionally visit the state.

This time the business took me to Kochi, in central Kerala. On a Sunday, early morning, I went to Town, for a morning walk at Marine Drive, a walk way by the side of the sea.

There were a few fruit vendors near Drive at that time. I wanted to buy a Kilo of Mango.

"What is the price?", I asked the vendor.

"Rs.100 a kilo", he replied. I told him it was expensive. In other places, I can get the same for 80 a Kilo.

"How much are you going to buy?", he asked. I said I wanted to buy a Kilo.

"Why are you arguing for just 20 bucks?", he wanted to know.

I took the high road. "It is not the money. It is the principle of the thing", I replied.

"Here mango costs 100", he replied flatly. It was like 'you take it or leave it'.

I checked other vendors. Every vendor around was selling mango for 100 / Kilo.

I could have bought it from anyone, but I wanted to buy from the first vendor. For, I had taken the high road there, you see. I wanted to make amends.

I went to the first vendor and told him, "I will buy from you. Give me one kilo"

"I won't sell mango to you", he came up with a surprising answer. Now it was his turn to take the high ground.

I tried to explain. "Boss, I am the customer, I have the money, you are here to sell stuff. If anyone has to feel ashamed, it is me. I had rejected you and now I am back here to buy from you"

No effect. He did not sell me the mango.

Who is right? Who is wrong? Is it only Malayalees? Who knows?

Who cares?

No comments: