GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

10 July 2018

A tryst with exotic cooking....


"I want to prepare some exotic stuff. Shall I make Bruschetta today", my son announced to the universe.
"Look at his initiative" my wife gushes, "at this age other kids will be playing football and wasting their time"
I am filled with pride for this damn initiative.
"We need bread, onion, garlic and tomato. Appa, can you go and buy the stuff from the market", my son asks
As a dad it is my duty to support my son in these endeavours. Especially when he is taking the initiative. For all you know, he could end up as the next Sanjiv Kapoor. Who am I to come in the way of the universe?
So off I go with a spring in my steps, if you see what I mean.
I get the stuff from the market. Dump them on the table and retire into my cool bedroom with a Baldacci.
"Call me when it is ready" I announce superflously. I have done my bit to advance my son's career. Let me relax.
"Appa, can you cut the vegetables? I have to go out for a swim", my son asks. 
Shouldn't l be the one relaxing? I think to myself. 
"Which vegetables should I cut?" I query.
"Wash and cut onions in small pieces. Remove the seed from tomato and cut them in thin slices. Cut garlic laterally", the request has become instructions. 
He goes out for a swim. I patiently cut 10 tomatoes (after removing the seed), cut the onions, cut the garlic...
Cut my finger...
By the end of the cutting, I am tired. My eyes are burning having cut those damn onions.
"Are the vegetables cut ", my son asks. He is back from the swim and is fresh and raring to go.
"Yes", I inform him proudly.
"You have cut them too small", comes the inspection report.
Now he takes the bread from the packet. 
"Appa, can you grill the bread?", he asks. It is almost like his mom is invisible. He is not expecting anything from her.
I have to support him. It is the price one pay for being a dad.
"How do you want it grilled?"
"Lightly apply olive oil and grill", comes the prompt reply.
I grill the bread, apply garlic on that and hand it to him.
It is not over. I grate the cheese, lightly saute the vegetables in cheese.. 
Finally, once every bit of backbreaking work is done, my son puts a layer of the sauted vegetables on the toasted bread and give it to me. I take a bite.
"Dad, how is my Bruschetta?", he asks.

No comments: