GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

15 October 2013

30 Days, 30 Veggies: Day 5: Bhindi (Okra / Ladies Finger) Fry

Day 5 is for Lady's finger. Also known as Bhindi in Hindi idioma and 'Vendakkai' in Malayalam and Tamil.

Growing up, it was always a struggle with my mom regarding this vegetable. As per the Indian accumulated knowledge, also known as wisdom, Bhindi is good for intellect and for improving memory. Just like anything good in the world, Bhindi was relatively tasteless.

That may be because there are not many good Bhindi preparations in South India. There is the Bhindi Mezhukupurati, or Bhindi Pachadi and thats it....

When  I started tasting North Indian Bhindi preparations, my opinion about the taste of Bhindi changed. Of course it was still yucky and mushy mushy, but it turned out to be tastier than I thought. The recipe that I am describing below is my version of Bhindi Fry as prepared in North India.

Ingredients.

  1. Bhindi, Slit: About two cups
  2. Onion Chopped: 1/2 cup
  3. Tomato Chopped: 1/2 cup
  4. Jeera Powder, Coriander Powder, Haldi Powder, Red Chilly Powder: A pinch of each
  5. Salt to taste
  6. Oil: Two spoons.

Preparation

  1. Heat the oil in a pan
  2. Add the Chopped Onion and keep stirring till it is golden brown
  3. Add tomatos till it mixes nicely with the onion
  4. Add all the powders and saute for about three minutes, till the raw smell of the powders are replaced with the smell of masala. Also you will see the mix releasing oil
  5. Add the Bhindi and mix very thoroughly. Ensure that masala is spread evenly on all the Bhindi
  6. Close the pan and heat on medium flame for about 10 minutes
  7. Switch off the stove and top it with Coriander Leaves
The Fry turned out to be tastier than I thought.

Benefits of Bhindi



No comments: