GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

02 February 2019

Lessons from a Dosa...


The other day I went cycling in the morning to Jayanagar, a suburb of Bangalore. I was hungry and I wanted to eat breakfast. I wanted to eat Dosa for breakfast.

I regularly go to Brahmin’s cafe in Jayanagar to have Dosa. The Dosas are good and are reasonably priced. Today I wanted to do something different, I felt adventurous. There is a place called ‘Jayanagar Dosa Camp’ near Jayanagar Bus Station. I decided to go JDC for my breakfast. I had a last minute vacillation whether to go to my regular place or to try a new place. In the end the adventurous spirit overtook the careful self.

I went there. The dosa was not tasty. It was salty and masala was bland. I felt frustrated. I could have easily gone to Brahmin's cafe where I knew that the dosa would be excellent. 

That is a philosophical question of the day. Should you try something new if you already have a satisfactory option available? Is it okay to try new things and explore various options when you are young? At what age should you ‘settle down’ and generally avoid ‘new experiences’? Was dosa the problem or was it my need to have ‘good dosa’ always, the binary of good vs bad the problem? Should I feel bad for one below par dosa or should I be happy that I have identified one place less to go to and that I have eliminated one bad place where I need not go to in future?

As I am growing older I am besieged with regret every time I have to pay money for bad food. Is this okay? Should I be happy that I am learning about new place to avoid? Is the new learning worth it?

Dosa camp used to be a great restaurant two to three years ago. Over time they have become bad. This is true for restaurants, this is true for businesses and true for people. As we age, we accept and compromise. Our views become hardened and we become narrow minded. I think gradual deterioration is the rule of the universe.

That is why reflection and renewal are very important.

No comments: