GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

18 February 2021

Book Review: The Joys of Compounding: Author: Gautam Baid

I spent a lot of time reading this book (from January 8th when I started to February 17th when I
finished). There is a lot of curated work - mostly quotes from Munger and Buffett and a lot of advises and suggestions, unfortunately original ideas are few and far between. I wish Mr.Baid had focused more on detailing his experiences, him being an accomplished investor. The book sparkles in the few areas where he addresses his experiences in investing in Indian market.

Mr.Baid had a great opportunity - a confluence of knowledge, experience and communication skills, where he could have written a book on investing in India. The country has evolved significantly over the last twenty years, and Mr.Baid was in the market in almost 15 of them. The last twenty years has seen a mega crash and multiple mini bull markets. There is a lot of human interest stories out here many of which he will be privy to.

That would have been a heck of a book.

Mr.Baid read and referred a number of books and articles while researching this book. The bibliography is impressive. I have read some of the books that he refers in the book, most of them over the last two years. So the only areas that added value to me are his personal experiences. I found the section on 'being an empathetic investor' very useful.

There is no doubt that Mr.Baid writes well. I hope he writes the next book from his heart rather than from his head....

No comments: