GDPR Compliance: I am not collecting any personal information of any reader of or visitor to this blog. I am using Blogger, provided by Google to host this blog. I understand that Google is using cookies to collect personal information for its Analytics and Adsense applications. I trust that (but has no way to verify) Google has incorporated the necessary data protection features in their applications

23 February 2021

The Woman in the White Kimono by Ana Johns

The Woman in the White Kimono

The Woman in the White Kimono by Ana Johns
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Just finished reading the book 'The Woman in White Kimono' written by Ana Johns. What a brilliant book!!! Undoubtedly the best book I have ever read (I have read many). The book is crafted with perfection, with each word like an iridescent Pearl connected by glowing golden thread to form an exquisite Pearl necklace of ethereal beauty.

The book is a confluence of two stories that run in parallel till they come together in a brilliant symphony.

What makes the book stand out is that it details real incidents that happened after the US occupation of Japan between 1954 and 58. Each page is evocative and I was crying for most part.

It tells the story of Naoko Nakamura living in the Japan of the 1950s. US Forces are still in the country and there is a lot of resentment in Japan towards the occupying forces. Relationship between American men and Japanese women are strictly forbidden.

It is in this background that 17 year old Naoko falls in love with Jimmy Kovac, an American Soldier, whom she affectionately calls Hijame. They get married and Naoko finds that she is pregnant with Hijame's daughter. Jimmy has to suddenly leave for America and Naoko is faced with a series of personal tragedies having no one to support her.

Using evocative narration and Japanese Philosophy as background, Ms.Johns weaves a magical story that tugs your heart in each page. The reader celebrates and grieves with Naoko. She is a picture of grit and resilience and we get immersed in every one of her challenges.

In her 'Afterward', the author ask us not to judge the characters of this story. Those were tough times and mistakes were committed on both sides, US as well as Japan. While Ms.Jones ask the reader to be compassionate, it is very difficult to remain stoic as you read about the tragedy of Naoko developing in front of our own eyes.

I cried copiously as I read this book. Except for a brief moment of happiness, all that Naoko faced in life was unbearable sorrow. Even three hours after reading the book, when I think of Naoko (as I write this review), I still cry. 

While this is not an 'all ends well' story, reading it elevates you as a person. After reading this book, I will never be the same person. My universe has changed after I read this book.

This book is a collectors item. Thank you Ana Johns for writing this poetry in prose.

View all my reviews

 

No comments: